Dedicated on June 17, 1925, the Carillon Tower was built in lasting honour of those from Norfolk who paid the supreme sacrifice during the First World War. The Norman architectural styled tower is 60 feet tall and contains a carillon of 23 bells, the heaviest weighing 1,568lbs.
The firm of Gillett & Johnson, England produced the carillon which was installed at the British Empire Exhibition in Wembley, England in 1924. World-famous carillonneur Josef Denyn from Belgium was the first to play the bells and radio carried its sound around the British Empire.
On the front wall of the Tower (left of the door) is the plaque which lists the names of Norfolk’s 217 soldiers who gave their lives in World War I. Besides the men, one nursing sister died. The plaque on the right side of the door lists the 141 Norfolk soldiers who gave their lives in World War II.
The plaques on the North wall commemorate the 133rd Norfolk’s Own Battalion and the First World War battles its soldiers fought in. On November 11, 2014 a plaque commemorating Afghanistan and PO2 Craig Blake, CD was unveiled. On the East wall facing the High School is the plaque naming the twelve soldiers who were students there before giving their lives during that war.
The original plaques commemorating those killed during the Great War were unveiled by Mrs. West of Houghton who had lost three sons in the war – two of which at Vimy Ridge. The plaque commemorating the high school students was unveiled by Mrs. Quanbury who lost two sons in the war. The current plaques on the front of the Tower were unveiled in 1946 during a rededication ceremony to commemorate both the First and Second World Wars.
“It is hoped the purpose of the Memorial will never be forgotten, and that the tower in its beauty and the bells with their music will ever recall to all who pass this way the sacrifice of these men who left the world behind in answer to the call of duty.” (Official Dedication Program, 1925)